Low Fodmap Creme Brulee
Creme Brulee is a rich, creamy custard with a brittle caramelized layer on top. It is simple to make and yet such a pleasure to serve and of course, to be served.
- 4 Cups Lactose Free Thick Cream
- 1 ½ Cup sugar
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- Step 1 Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- Step 2 Place the cream and 60-70grams sugar in a small pan. Split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and add to the pan with the pod. Bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat.
- Step 3 In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- Step 4 Discard the vanilla pod from the cream mixture, then slowly pour it into the yolk mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Step 5 Place 8 x 100ml ramekins or nicely suitably shaped ovenproof teacups in a deep roasting tray and fill with custard mixture.
- Step 6 Fill the roasting tray with hot water until ramekins are covered half way up the sides.
- Step 7 Bake until custards are just set (they should tremble slightly in centre when shaken), 35 to 45 minutes.
- Step 8 Remove from oven and remove ramekins from tray carefully using tongs. Allow to rest for at least 30 minutes and then cover with cling wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Step 9 When ready to serve, sprinkle each dish with extra sugar and use a blowtorch or under hot grill to caramelise it. Watch for the sugar to bubble slightly and turn amber being careful not to burn.