The best part about making sauces yourself, in the comfort of your kitchen, is that it gives you complete control over what does and doesn’t go into the sauce. As you would be aware, packaged sauces are a mine-field when it comes to ingredients for a Low FODMAP diet. Instead, you get a fresh and healthier BBQ sauce that tastes incredible and is safe for you to enjoy.
Low Fodmap Texan Barbecue Sauce
A barbecue sauce is a Friday night fun addition to Low FODMAP burgers or thick cut chips. This recipe can be spiced up or down to taste.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs dijon mustard
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs garlic infused oil
- 1 tbs sweetened paprika
- 2 tbs cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer on low for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Step 2 Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes. If you like your sauce particularly smooth, pour into a blender and blend until smooth (about 15-20 seconds).
- Step 3 Once completely cooled place in to air tight container and keep in refrigerator no more than one week.
- Step 4 TIP: This is also a delicious sauce to use on gluten free pasta or to mix mince meat in to. You can also add turmeric to the sauce to add some bitterness that provides a nice contrast to the syrup and cayenne pepper.