Rice Filled Tomatoes
Plump juicy tomatoes filled with a delicious nut and rice stuffing. Served on a warm tomato sauce mixture. A hearty meal for a cold day or a heat up dinner.
- 50g crushed walnuts
- 30g Olive oil (garlic or basil infused if preferred)
- 1 bunch chopped chives
- 1 kilo plump, ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 75g long grain rice
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Parmesan cheese
- Step 1 Place oil and chives in saucepan and saute over medium heat 3-4 mins
- Step 2 Cut tops from tomatoes and reserve for later use
- Step 3 Chop 125g of the reserved tomato slices and add to saucepan along with ½ teaspoon of the salt, black pepper, 6-8 of the mint leaves and parsley
- Step 4 Cook over low heat for approx 10 minutes, stirring intermittently
- Step 5 Scoop centers of tomatoes out with a spoon and place hollowed tomatoes in a steaming dish with holes facing upwards
- Step 6 Add rice, crushed nuts and lemon to saucepan and blend well
- Step 7 Remove mixture from saucepan and use to fill tomatoes
- Step 8 Steam rice filled tomatoes for approx 30 minutes or until cooked to your liking
- Step 9 Meanwhile, chop reserved tomato lids well and place in saucepan along with remaining mint leaves, salt and oil in to saucepan and stir over medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Step 10 Remove sauce from saucepan and pour in to serving dish. Remove tomatoes from steamer and place gently on top of sauce. Garnish with parsley and grated parmesan.